Everyone who uses a computer has several of these handy pocket size storage devices lying around. For most of us, it’s just a neat little gadget to store photos, documents, and files.
How many of you realize that these drives can be used for other purposes than just storing data and files? Before I get into these other features, I just want to touch on the subject of USB 2.0 vs 3.0 drives.
Simply, USB 3.0 is much faster, up to 10x faster.
Check this quick reference chart:
USB DrivesDifference between USB 2.0 and 3.0
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0|
|Speed||480 MBPS||640 MBPS
Either send or receive
Send and receive data simultaneously
|Charging||100 ma||900 ma|
|USB 1.1||USB 1.1, 2.0|
So what other uses do USB Flash Drives provide besides storing information?
- Run Antivirus software to remove unwanted malware from any computer
- Execute maintenance applications to troubleshoot or fix slow operating computers
- Run another operating such as Linux off your USB Flash Drive
- Execute portable apps such as Chrome, Firefox, Open Office, Evernote and more from your Flash Drive.
- Tired of using passwords to unlock your laptop, try using
a physical key such as: Predator (Win), Rohos (Win & Mac)
or USB Lock (Mac)
- Keep important files, contact lists, medical information,
projects, and special photos always on hand.
- Store MP3 files to listen on other devices that have a USB port
- Promote your business: Print your logo and store your
business information on the drive, give away free
I am sure there are lots of other uses I didn’t mention.
Feel free to share them with us.