A great way to learn and practice to setup, install software, manage, and maintain a unmanaged VPS server.
Managed vs Unmanaged
Unmanaged servers: these servers are self managed by the clients or users, i.e. unlike the managed servers, the responsibilities of necessary configurations and maintaining the server lies in the users’ hands, hence it’s their duty to keep the server up to date and safe from hackers.
Managed servers: The web hosting companies manage and host the managed servers. The clients are able to set up domains and mailboxes but the sole responsibilities of necessary configurations and maintaining the server lies in the hands of the web host company. [Quora]
Overview: Pros and Cons of a Unmanaged VPS server
- Cost, as low as $5 a month
- Setup and configure server 100% to your requirements
- Just about any software or program can be installed
- You are your own customer support, no need to rely on hosting support
- Scalable; resources, bandwidth, etc.
- Requires technical skills: server administration & understand the command line
- It may take hours or even days to manually install and configure the required resources
- Security: you need to follow the best security practices and provide your own necessary updates
- Normally customer support not provided
- Time consuming, virtually require a full time administrator
If you have absolutely no experience is setting up a unmanaged VPS server, this is not the place to be involved with “On The Job Training.” In other words don’t try and launch an active or client website, unless you enjoy placing yourself in a very stressful situation.
The sole purpose of obtaining a budget unmanaged VPS account in this article is for learning purposes.
So you can practice and gain experience in becoming a confident server administrator.
Here are a few examples of low cost Unmanaged VPS Server Hosts:
Budget Unmanaged VPS HostingLow cost $5 Unmanged servers for practicing how to install software, setup, and manage a VPS server.
Where else can you practice setting up, installing software, and managing a VPS server for $5 or $10 a month.
You can find many tutorials on Youtube.
Here are a few.