Protecting Your WordPress wpconfig.php File
“One of the most important files in your WordPress
installation is the wp-config.php file. This file is located in the root of your WordPress file directory and contains your website’s
base configuration details, such as database connection information. [Wordpress.org]
This important configuration file contains all the pertain security information for your website.
Without this file, or if it is corrupted, your WordPress website will not operate.
So you certainly do want unauthorized eyes viewing or even manipulation this key file.
Some of the important configurations that are contained in this file:
- Contains your database settings (MySQL): database name, user, password, etc.
- WordPress Salt and Keys information.
- WordPress site address.
- Post revisions amount settings.
- Auto Save Interval settings.
- Multisite activation.
- Memory Limit settings.
- Disable Plugin and Theme updates and installation (for clients).
- Debugging: display error and debug messages.